Advert

Translate

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Legendary Actress Joke Silva Opend up: Why I haven’t been featuring in Yoruba movies!

Joke Silva fondly called the “grandmother of the Nigerian film industry”  wife of veteran actor, Olu Jacobs, In this engaging interview With Vanguard Joke Silva speaks passionately about her acting career, her role as a wife, 
Read below: 

In your own assessment, how would you rate what they call the “New Nollywood?”


I’m not a supporter of this idea of the ‘new and old Nollywood.’ I look at the entire film industry as one which has been recording steady growth. That’s the way I see the industry.

It’s really sad because I think we have one of the oldest enterainment traditions in the whole  world-theatre. We have  been making films way back in the 50s. And for us to celebrate 20 years of Nigerian film industry last year, I personally believe, we are underrating ourselves.

Unfortunately, people like us whom they  consider as “old-fashioned” are not in controlled of the affairs of the industry. There is need to sound a note of caution that  we must jettison our history, so that posterity will not judge us.

Are you agreeing with Kunle Afolayan when he wrote on his facebook page last year that celebrating Nollywood at 20, is celebrating 20 years of producing low quality films?


I’m not sure  if I would support that opinion. This is because I know that within the last 20 years, Nollywood has churned out some absolutely amazing films.

I wouldn’t support that kind of assessment of the industry. But I do know  that a lot of Tunde Kelani’s films fall within and before these  years. So, you can’t authoritatively claim that Tunde Kelani’s works are not bar raisers.   Even though there is an on going argument that TK does not see  himself as a Nollywood practitioner.

But I think we need to understand what the word, Nollywood stands for. For me, Nollywood is the entire Nigerian film industry. It got branded with the name, and it has been in existence for much longer than the name.


These days, you are rarely seen on screen. What happened?


Yes, I had a project I was doing. It  took me away for a while, but I’m working now.

Meaning that you have staged a comeback to Nollywood?


I have never left the industry. In fact, I have been doing a lot of works in the theatre and also, starring in some films in the last couple of months.

But it’s not the case of being selective?


Not particularly; once in a while, I do get scripts that I would reject outrightly. In the past couple of days, I have said ‘Yes’ to a couple of scripts. But I also said ‘No’ to one script simply because I didn’t  agree with the story line of the movie.


But you haven’t been featuring in Yoruba movies for a while?


Yes, I haven’t been approached to star in a Yoruba film for a while. The Yoruba film producers haven’t invited me to feature in their films.

They believe you belong to the English genre of the industry?


They know that much.I belong to the industry, and  our film industry is one. That is my believe.  I have always believed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment